Gage Cox is currently a student at Portland Community College. He is interested in majoring in marketing and likely transferring to University of Oregon. HMH was happy to have him intern for 6 weeks and get a first-hand look at the agency side of the advertising and marketing biz.
I’ve learned quite a lot during my short time here at HMH. Some of the things I’ve learned will be helpful to me with the rest of my academic career and after, when I get my first job opportunity. Other things I would classify as “HMH Wisdom” that has been bestowed upon me.
Some practical things I’ve learned:
- It requires a team effort to complete a job
- You need to be well organized, because there’s always a lot of things happening at once
- There’s a ridiculous amount of acronyms
- Communication is key, and makes everything work more smoothly
- The industry is always changing and you need to keep up in order to be successful
- There’s a whole lot of meetings
Some HMH Wisdom:
- You should eat tacos at least once a week, and not necessarily on Tuesday
- Just because you’re working in an office doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be boring
- If you don’t understand sarcasm, you’ll have a hard time at HMH
- Your job is a lot more fun when you’re working with people you like
Overall, the time I’ve been fortunate enough to spend here at HMH has been a great experience that has taught me many things, along with giving me my first insight into the industry. I’m very thankful for being given this opportunity.