The graphic designer is a creative advertising and design practitioner with both visual talents and computer skills used to develop their own creative concepts as well as execute on rough ideas from the creative teams, manage edited rounds and prep files for final output. Reports to the group creative director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in creating design projects with creative staff and offer design treatments and solutions that will help move the work through the development process. Projects could include logo/Identity, web design, collateral layout, banner ads, eblasts, print ads, packaging, signage, OOH, etc.
- Work as a team with copywriters, art directors, motion designers and producers who have a shared responsibility in creative product development.Produce mechanicals consistently based on the creative concept layout and maintain the creative integrity of the original concept.
- Review prepress file specifications prior to producing files and maintain consistent file preparation suitable for outputting by publications or vendors.
- Work with the creative department in developing methods to create and maintain consistent file preparation.
- Check artwork for completeness and assure adherence to standards and communicate as necessary to eliminate and prevent errors and problems.
- Collect and distribute assets for preparation of production artwork as necessary.
what we would like to see
- Provide a portfolio website or portfolio PDF that exhibits quality, collaboration and skills flexibility.
- Expert proficiency in Adobe CC (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat) on Mac OS is a must. Proficiency in HTML5, After Effects & Premiere a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially with forms, templates and PowerPoint, is also plus.
- Solid understanding of principles of graphic design and practical knowledge of their application by translating design concepts to final refined layouts and production art.
- Adept in layout development and composition, file manipulation, typography, color, kerning and leading.
- Great communication, organizational, attention-to-detail and project management skills.
- The ability to solve problems under tight deadlines with a can do attitude.
- Experience on press checks and knowledge of basic printing terms and techniques.
- 5+ years of experience. Agency experience preferred.
- Self-motivated; takes initiative.
- Associates degree in graphic design at minimum; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Develop an understanding of and commitment to HMH values.
HMH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class.